Within the Brightflag Law Firm Portal, you can submit invoices in LEDES format, LEDES+PDF, or PDF only. PDF invoices can either be billed with an itemized hourly breakout or as an agreed fixed fee.
This guide will take you through PDF only hourly fee (itemized) invoice submissions. If your invoice is a mix of hourly fees and fixed fees it is advised you split the invoice into 2, one for hourly fees and one for fixed fees. If this is not possible, choose hourly fees.
Uploading a PDF Hourly Fee Invoice:
- Navigate to Menu > Invoices > Upload PDF.
- Click Choose File to upload the PDF invoice from your PC.
- For security reasons, some characters are not allowed in filenames. Permitted characters are A-Z, a-z, 0-9, spaces ' ', hyphens '-', underscores '_', dots '.', brackets '()', '&' and '%'. If you receive this error please rename your Invoice and resubmit.
- Once the Invoice has been attached, you need to select the Matter to which it relates. Use the Matter Search bar that this invoice relates to. An invoice can only relate to one matter. Please note that to enable the currency option you must complete this step first.
- If you are resubmitting an invoice, please see the steps at the bottom of this help page.
- For first-time invoices, select No under Is This a Resubmitted Invoice
- Select Hourly Fees. (For Agreed Fixed Fee Invoices, please see this article: Uploading a PDF Invoice with Agreed Fixed Fees)
- Enter the Invoice Number. Your invoice may be rejected by your client if it is not an exact match of the invoice number as stated on the PDF. Each invoice must have a unique invoice number unless it is a resubmitted draft of a previously submitted invoice.
- Select the invoice Currency as it appears on the PDF. Each invoice must only contain one currency. Important to note that the Currency field will not populate until you have linked this Invoice to the appropriate Matter - please see step 4 above.
- Enter the Billing Period Start & End Dates: the date range in which the work was carried out.
- Select the Invoice Date (as it appears on the invoice) from the drop-down. This is the date that the invoice was created/issued on.
- Enter the Fees (Only Professional). This is the sum of all line items, prior to any discount. Expenses or tax should not be included here.
- You can choose to enter a total Discount Amount or a Discount %.
- Enter the Expenses (excl. tax) and Total Tax. (If you are prompted to enter tax codes and rates, click here for guidance).
- The Invoice TOTAL (to be paid) will auto-calculate based on the previous fields. If this is not adding up to the total on the PDF, you will need to rectify a mistake in the entries of the prior fields.
- Where necessary, enter a Note that will appear on the invoice for the client to see.
- Verify that all fields match the PDF invoice. Any mismatch will lead to an auto-rejection of your invoice. Some clients may require that the entity and entity address on the PDF match the matter. If so, check the matter details before creating your PDF.
- Click Submit Invoice. Alternatively, click Save & Add New to add another invoice.
- Confirm the submission by clicking Submit Invoice in the pop-up window that follows.
Delete unconfirmed invoices
- To delete unconfirmed invoices, navigate to Menu > Invoices > Upload PDF > View Uploaded PDF Invoices to Confirm
- Click on the Delete button shown below on the right-hand side.
Uploading a Re-submitted PDF Hourly Fee Invoice:
If you are resubmitting an invoice, be sure to select Is This a Resubmitted Invoice. If it is a resubmitted invoice, select the original draft of the invoice from the Link to Original Invoice dropdown.
If the invoice you are looking for does not appear, you either:
- You do not have access to the invoice
- The original draft does not have a rejected status, or
- The invoice is uploaded by another user from a different firm office location.
Once you have successfully linked the invoice, please go to step 7 above.
Submitted Invoice Status
- You can verify that your invoice has been submitted correctly by finding it on the page (Menu > Invoices > View Invoices).
- If your invoice is auto-rejected due to a mismatch of information between the PDF and your entry, you will receive an email notification (if you are the uploader of the invoice).
- You can also monitor the View Invoices page for a change of status.
Invoice Date Not Loading / Populating
When I select the Invoice Date I have no options to select.
- This will only occur if you have selected a Billing period date range that is in the future.
- To fix this, the Billing Period start date must be set at the current date or older.
Unable to upload PDF invoice after selecting PDF invoice from my computer.
You may not be able to get the PDF uploaded to Brightflag while submitting an invoice.
- To fix this, please check the invoice pdf size, it must be less than 7MB.
- Invoice must be stored/saved at a local machine, not on a network drive.
- Invoice PDF name should only include Permitted characters that are A-Z, a-z, 0-9, spaces ' ', hyphens '-', underscores '_', dots '.', brackets '()', '&' and '%'.
When Trying to Complete My Invoice Upload, I receive an Error that my Invoice has already been uploaded.
If you have started to upload your invoice but have not yet submitted it, you can return to the invoice by selecting the 'View Uploaded PDF Invoices to Confirm' located at the top right corner of Menu > Invoices > Upload PDF.
You will receive an error if you attempt to upload the same invoice again while you still have this invoice in your drafts.