The approval workflow of an invoice is set via automated rules called Invoice Approval Workflows. These rules are often (but not always) informed by the user that is the internal matter lead on an invoice.
Changing an internal matter lead on a matter will provide you with the option to change the approver on all pending invoices in that matter. This article will take you through changing the approvers or review stages on an individual invoice.
Important note on removing the final stage of an invoice: If you need to remove the final stage of an invoice and the previous stage has already been approved, please do one of the following to prevent the invoice from getting stuck without a final approval action:
- Add a new final stage to replace the one you just removed
- Reset the previous stage to pending for the approver(s) to re-approve
Need to reset an approved stage back to pending?
No worries, you can remove the stage and re-add it with the respective approvers to achieve this!
To find the approval workflow of an invoice:
- Navigate to Menu > Invoice Management > Invoices.
- Find the invoice you are looking for and click into the Invoice Analysis page of that invoice.
- On the right side of your screen, you will see the invoice's approval workflow under the heading Approvers
To add an approver to an invoice:
- Locate the relevant review stage and click +Add Approver.
- Choose the approver from the Please Select User to Add to Stage dropdown.
- Confirm the change by clicking Add.
Remove an approver from an invoice:
- Locate the relevant approver and click the - (minus) button to the right of their name.
- note: if there's only one approver in a stage, you must remove the entire stage (see below)
- Confirm the change by clicking Remove.
Add a review stage to an invoice:
- In the top right corner of the invoice's approval workflow box, click the +Add Stage button.
- From here you can add an approver following the steps above.
Remove a review stage to an invoice:
- Locate the relevant review stage and click the - (minus) contained in the Stage No. box
Please note that adding multiple approvers to an approval stage will mean that any of the approvers within that stage can take approval action on an invoice once the invoice is at that stage of approval. The approval stages dictate the sequence in which an invoice is approved. If you would like the user you are adding to approve an invoice after the current stage approver has approved the invoice, a new stage would need to be added.