The Matter Summary tab is the first tab on a matter.
This summary page will depict and detail any insights and information relating to your matter. This guide will take you through finding the matter summary page.
To close/reopen a matter
When a matter is complete, click the text in the top right corner. If you need to reopen the matter click the same button which will now say open instead of close.
This will remove the vendor's ability to upload to the matter. You can still access the matter at any time and report on the matter at a future date.
Matter Summary Set as Default Landing Tab
The Matter Summary is the default landing page when clicking in to view a Matter. However, Client Admins have the option to leave Matter Summary as your default or set the Matter Details page as the default landing tab if preferred.
To change the default landing tab, Admins can go to Admin Settings > Matter Settings > Matter Page Tab and then choose which tab their users will default to.
The Matter Summary page is broken up into a series of tabs listed below:
Matter Summary tab
On the right-hand side of the tab, you will see:
- Budget Bar (with a link to the Budget tab). Important to note that rejected invoices are NOT counted in this Budget Bar.
- Matter Start Date
- Internal Matter Lead
- Lead Outside Counsel
- Matter Participants
On the left-hand side of the tab, you will see:
- Activity Log: for a full explanation of the functionality of this feature, please see this help article:
- Ability to quickly add a note. The latest note will appear here on the Matter Summary tab. There is a Go to Note link here to bring you to the Notes Tab. Please see the Notes tab section below for more information on the Notes Tab.
Matter Details tab
- The next tab over is the Matter Details tab, where you can access the core and custom matter fields, the Matter Template, Matter Participants, the Lead Outside Counsel, and the matter's Allocations.
- You will have the ability to edit some of these fields, depending on your company's settings.
- Similarly, your vendors will be able to view and edit some fields, however, this will depend on the field access you have set in matter settings.
Each note created on a Matter will be saved with the time & date on which the note was created. All notes will appear with the most recent at the top. Where a note has been previously been edited by the person who created it, it will have the edited label on the note.
- The Notes tab is a simple and easy way to make notes on a matter. Anyone with access to a matter and make & view notes on the Matter. Each note will have the details of who added the note and a timestamp of when it was added.
- This is a popular feature used by many Clients to use as a journal by added notes on a regular basis. The notes then provide historical data related to the Matter throughout its lifespan.
- The Notes features also acts as a collaborative tool whereby anyone that has access to the Matter can add/edit/view notes on the matter for the knowledge of others.
With the Notes feature, anyone with access to the Matter can:
- Create notes
- View all other notes by another Matter participant
- Edit notes: Once a note has been edited the edited label will appear on the note. Other Matter participants can hover over this edited label to see the date/time the note was edited.
- Delete any notes created by you. You cannot delete a note by another participant.
The Notes feature is not yet available for Vendors/Law Firms.
- First, you will see the Matter Timeline.
- Hover over a part of the timeline to see the phase this relates to.
- Filter by Year to change the date range of the data displayed.
- Next, you can review the various resourcing and task breakdowns for the matter
- Similar to the matter timeline, these data are an aggregation of the information collected at an invoice level.
- Navigate around the various breakdown boxes for the Specific-Task Breakdown, Category Breakdown, Firm Breakdown, and Timekeeper Breakdown.
- Click into any value on this page for further granular analytics.
The Invoices tab will list every invoice that has been submitted to this matter, along with its relevant status.
Click on an Invoice Number to access the invoice analysis page of that invoice.
Financial Data tab
- The Financial Data tab provides you with a comparison of the matter spend (for pending an approved invoices) against the matter's accruals.
Purchase Orders tab
- Here you will see details of any Purchase Orders relating to this Matter.
- You can also add a new Purchase Order by clicking the + ADD PURCHASE ORDER text on the upper left-hand side of the screen.
- The Vendors tab will list all active vendors working on this matter, along with their vendor office and specific vendor user where required.
- You can add a vendor at any time to a matter.
- The Budgets tab allows you to view and edit the budget on a matter.
Emails & Files tab
- Use the Emails & Files tab to view, edit and upload documents relating to that matter.