You can set matter budgets in Brightflag in a variety of ways:
- Budget by Total: Set a budget for the lifetime of the matter
- Budget by Month: Set a budget by month for the matter
- Budget by Phase: Set a budget for each phase you have defined in the matter
- Budget by Quarter: Set or request a budget to be broken down by fiscal quarter.
To set a budget by phase:
- Find the relevant matter click into its Matter Overview Page.
- Navigate to the Budgets tab.
- At the top of the budgets tab, you will see Set Budget By __ and then a dropdown option. From the dropdown, select By Phase.
- Begin entering the Phase Name and Phase Budget. Then click Add Phase.
- You can create as many phases as you would like.
- When naming a phase, it's important that your vendors understand the rationale behind the naming convention, as they will assigning their invoices to a phase at the point of uploading their invoices.
- The sum of the individual phase budgets will create the overall matter budget.
- After you have entered all phases, confirm your entry by clicking Save to the right of the new budget.
Assigning an invoice to a phase:
After you have set up your phase budgets, your firms can begin assigning their invoices to a phase at the point of upload. Subsequently, it's important that your vendor is aware of this and splits up their invoices by phase.
- You can also reassign an invoice to a different phase from the matter overview page of the relevant matter if your vendor chose incorrectly.
- Navigate to the Invoices tab of the Matter Overview Page, and select a phase for each invoice using the Budget Phase dropdown.