If you are experiencing an error at the point of upload, the error will be described to you on-screen. Use this information to correct the file. Alternatively, you may be prompted to fix the error within Brightflag. If you are unsure how to address the error, the following steps will offer further clarity.
First, check that your LEDES file complies with the LEDES standards (https://ledes.org/).
- 98Bi page link
- Sample file: "LEDES98BI V5 Sample File 1-2020"
- File format requirements: "LEDES98BI V5 Format Rev 1-2020 w Changes Marked from 98BI Rev 7-2014"
- 98B page link
- Sample file: "Ledes98B Sample File Rev 7-2014"
- File format requirements: "Ledes 1998B Format Rev 7-2014"
Take the following steps to parse the LEDES text file in Excel:
- Open Excel and a select blank sheet.
- Copy and paste the ledes TEXT into the file.
- Go to data and select text to column.
- Select delimited and click next.
- Check other and type in a pipe | (shift \ ) in the other text box.
- Click Finish.
- Timekeeper Name format: Timekeeper name must be in the format “surname, first name”. Example: Smith, John.
- INVOICE_TOTAL: must match the sum of LINE_ITEM_TOTALs.
- Client matter ID is blank: The correct client ID doesn't need to be on the file but this cell values for this field cannot be blank.
- Adjustments: Ensure no lines have LINE_ITEM_NUMBER_OF_UNITS as a negative value. To enter a discount, enter a new line with LINE_ITEM_TOTAL as a negative value and enter the EXP/FEE/INV_ADJ_TYPE as ‘IF’.
- INVOICE_DESCRIPTION: must be the same for each line of the invoice.
- Date: the INVOICE_DATE, BILLING_START_DATE and LINE_ITEM_DATE should be in the format YYYYMMDD.
- LAW_FIRM_COUNTRY: Use the Alpha-2 code https://www.iban.com/country-codes
- File type: the file must be a .txt file. If your software has generated a .edi or .dat file, you can change the file type by editing the name of the file to include .txt at the end of the file.
Once you have identified the errors on the excel file, revert to your original LEDES text file and edit the items that caused the errors.